Just outside Ezinge, the lush grounds of the Allersmaborg are a glorious ornament in the landscape. The borg building here, on the banks of the Reitdiep, hidden behind avenues of trees, dates from the 14th century initially. First there was the Allermaheerd, in other words a farmstead belonging to the Allard family. The complex underwent many renovations over the centuries and grew to become the Allersmaborg. The two-storey residence dates from the 18th century. The rear annexe with the cellar is much older. The last nobleman to live there was the squire Reneke Meinard Adriaan de Marees van Swinderen. He died in 1899. The Municipality of Ezinge became the owner in 1946. But as there was little money for proper maintenance the house fell into decay. The Forestry Commission bought the estate for one guilder in 1978. Allersma was restored to a sturdy, dignified Groningen residence. The 19th century feel was preserved. The grounds outside the borg garden are also owned by the Forestry Commission and are open to the public. These days, the buildings are used by the University of Groningen which has renovated them internally completely in style.